Monday 25 August 2008

Back in the saddle

Gosh its hard to believe I haven't updated for a month. I'm sorry if you've been back a few times without seeing any changes but there didn't seem to be too much of a reason to add to the blog until we got going back in class.

I've got to admit I was fairly upset that so few of the class took the work I set while I was away seriously. Being treated like adults means that you should act like adults. I left work to be completed and expected it to be done. Having to go back over that work has set us back and I'm not sure we can easily catch up. As a result I have to contract the course. It is a pity that this needs to happen as some students did complete the work and acted responsibly.

So now we have started the last part of the course. Technically there should be three but I think we can combine hat within some of the topics we are going to be covering over the next few weeks.

We are going to be looking at Economic and Political change but will try to include Society and Attitudes as we go along.

First up we began this by looking at Immigration, initially by looking at the NZ Company scheme of the 1830's and 1840's and then the Vogel Plan/Scheme of the 1870's. Then we will look at the main industries of the 19th century. I have chosen Timber, Gold Mining and Pastoralism (Wool, Frozen meat, Butter and Cheese).

No comments:

Post a Comment